Pest Animal Monitoring
Pest animal monitoring in both native and plantation areas is a requirement of FSC certification and important for being able to cost effectively target pest control operations.
Services delivered by Target Pest are underpinned by:
- Staff experienced in the design, fieldwork and data analysis of monitoring programmes.
- NPCA approved operating certificate
- Consistent approach and documented procedures
- Cost effectiveness and competitiveness
- Commitment to health and safety in the forest
Pest animals covered
- Possum – RTC (using wax block or leg hold traps)
- Rabbits – Modified McLean Scale
- Hares – Aligned with modified McLean Scale or night counts
- Mustelids, Rats and Cats (monitor/control for conservation reasons)
- Deer, Pigs and Goats
Formal monitoring systems such as the RTC are comprehensive, both in design and delivery. Several options are available for implementing pest animal monitoring within forests.
- Using full protocols for design, delivery and analysis of results. Obtains statistically sound results, good opportunity for trend monitoring.
- Stratification or sampling ‘management areas’ (trend lines). Uses elements of formal monitoring programmes but don’t waste monitoring resource on areas of low pest animal density.